We all love a surprise at Christmas time and the excitement of imagining what’s under the tree. What we don’t want is the surprise and upset of storms and other nasty happenings at this time of year. There are a few simple things you can do to limit the potential of a spoiled Christmas at your place.
Intruder proof it
Remove all those burglar-friendly aids lying about around your yard and garden – a chair gives them a leg up, the ladder easy access to your highest windows. Put away those tools – the edge of a spade makes an effective jimmy.
Intruder protection basics like installing deadlocks and window locks on all external doors and windows were done at your place years ago, right? How about these tried and tested burglar deterrents:
- Installation of motion sensor lighting – very cost-effective.
- Installation of a monitored alarm system – even better.
- Consider the installation of a closed-circuit TV camera –gives a good chance of catching the perpetrators and getting your stuff back if you do get burgled, as does…
- Security marking of valuables… and photographs of them kept in a secure place.
- Up-to-date valuations of valuables to determine insurance cover required.
Storm proof it
Christmas in our part of the world means the risk of damage delivered by storms is at its peak. Preparation is everything. Clean out the gutters, trim back your trees and ask your neighbour to do the same. Put away those potential flying object items sitting in your yard, on your deck or verandah.
Finally, if all your precautions come to nothing and you are hit by weather events or visits from unsavoury individuals, at least your home and contents insurance will put things right financially. If you’re not sure you have enough cover, contact your account manager without delay.